What is Form Drag? | Aviation Glossary

In aerodynamics, there are various categories of drag used to provide a distinctive classification of different types. Due to the depth and complexity often surrounding the aerodynamics of an airfoil, it is necessary to clarify the enforcing drag types present. Form drag can be defined as the drag created following the departure of airflow (known … Read more

How Common Are Touch and Go Landings?

During the landing phase of flight, there are numerous outcomes that may occur depending on a number of factors. On a scheduled commercial flight, the most common outcome is a full stop landing. However, for numerous reasons outlined below, there are instances in which an aircraft may perform a touch-and-go landing. How Common Are Touch … Read more

Configuration Deviation List (CDL) | Aviation Glossary


A Configuration Deviation List (CDL) is a list published by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) of an aircraft design that states external components on an aircraft that are not required for the aircraft to remain airworthy. The external components stated on the CDL are non-critical parts of the aircraft which are not required for the … Read more

Airport Mapping Database (AMDB) – Functions and Features


An Airport Mapping Database, also known as AMDB, is a system which outlines the layout of an airport. The map consists of a detailed and accurate rendering of the exact positioning of airport infrastructure such as runways, taxiways, aircraft gates and terminal facilities.  The primary use of AMDB systems is to provide directional guidance to … Read more

Flaperons | Aviation Glossary


On fixed-wing aircraft, there are numerous aerodynamic devices installed which serve a number of functions. These functions include the generation of lift and drag across the airfoil. Two of the aerodynamic devices found on aircraft are flaps and ailerons. Flaps being lift-generating devices in which the chord of the wing can be changed while also … Read more

Noise Abatement | Aviation Glossary

In areas surrounding most airports, there is typically an initiative undertaken by various stakeholders with the objective of mitigating noise pollution. This noise pollution can be apparent in areas in which aircraft arrive and depart on a frequent basis. Known as Noise Abatement, it is typically delivered through a set of procedures which document and … Read more

What is an Acceptance Flight? | Aviation Glossary

what is an acceptance flight

Outside of commercial operations, aircraft are required to undergo a series of non-revenue test flights to verify particular aspects of airworthiness. The requirement to ensure airworthiness of an aircraft can be sought by different personnel or organizations. A term used to describe such test flights are referred to as an “Acceptance Flight”, in which the … Read more

What Does DECEL Mean? | Aviation Glossary

During the descent and approach phase of flight, there is a transition and shift in relation to the speed and altitude of the aircraft. During the approach and landing phases, there is a need for the aircraft to decelerate in terms of airspeed in order to enter the necessary landing configuration – this includes the … Read more

Autobrake RTO Mode

Autobrake systems on aircraft provide automated deceleration functions during the take off and landing phases of flight. On sophisticated commercial aircraft, this automation reduces the workload for the flight crew while also ensuring the braking power applied is at a smooth and sufficient rate. The deceleration and braking power applied depends on the required stopping … Read more

CFM56 vs IAE V2500 – Airbus A320 Family Engine Types

On the Airbus A320 family, there are 2 engine types available: the CFM International CFM56 and the IAE V2500. There are numerous characteristics to both engine types which suit particular sets of operations. As of 2022, approximately 65% of Airbus A320 aircraft types are powered by CFM International CFM56 engines while the remaining 35% are IAE … Read more

Airbus Flaps/THS Setting

On the Takeoff page on the MCDU, the takeoff configuration is entered into the FMS. This takeoff configuration comprises settings such as takeoff flaps, horizontal trim setting, FLEX TO temp, and V-speeds (V1, VR, V2). On the R3 section of the MCDU, there is an option for FLAPS/THS. This is short for Flaps/Trimmable Horizontal Stabilizer. … Read more

Airbus Flex TO (Takeoff) Temperature

What is Flex Temperature? Flex (short for flexible) temperature is an Airbus-centric term used to describe the use of derated thrust takeoff procedures. Similar to the DERATE setting found on Boeing Aircraft, the FLEX Takeoff (TO) Temperature setting found on Airbus aircraft allows flight crews to select a pre-determined takeoff thrust setting that is below … Read more